The Department was established in 2009.Primarily as treatment and care facility.
Specialized trainings are on going for different colleagues in oncology as follows:
- Drs-2 Drs have completed thei r super-speciality in Onco –Sugery and Gynae Onco.
- 3Drs are still on training 1-Medical Oncologist,1Paediatric Oncology and 1 interventional radiology,
1 will be going for Nuclear Medicine training in Feb 2015.
- 2 Radiation Technologists are at Ocean Road undertaking their studies.
- 1 Pathologist who is in the department of Histopathology since 2007.
- 1 Medical Oncologist who is the head of department has his training in Super specialist in that field
in Italy completed in 2008 , and he is in the department since 2009.
- 1 Nuclear Medicine Physician completed his studies in 2011.
- 1 Medical Physicist completed his studies in 2012 together with 1 Radiation Technologists and 2 Nuclear Medicine Technologists.
- 4 Nurses were trained in Onco-nursing 3 in Italy for 6 months each, and 1 in South Africa for 4 months.
- Apart from that we have in house training in the department,we trained 26 Drs in the Region surrounding Bugando or
Served by Bugando as a tertiary Hospital in September 2013.
- We also had a training for Nurses and Pharmaceutical Technicians 35 in total in June 2014.
- In house training is ongoing due to staff turnover for training or other reasons.
During different outreach campaigns especially screening,the community is reached and awareness on the risks,prevention and early detection are being done.
Also this exercise is being done at the department on daily basis during treatment schedules,special activity eg Pink and
Red Ribbon months,also when patients are waiting to be seen in the clinics through posters and leaflets.
EARLY DETECTION AND SCREENING.
This is done in House,Facility and Outrech based.
- In house is meant for staff we expected 300+ but we screened 96.
- Facility means Clients coming for screening every Friday of every week voluntarily –We have screened 356 women.
- Outreach Screening which is funded by Italians Collaborators we were able to visit 8 districts and screened 3000
women, we are currently analyzing the results.
TREATMENT AND CARE.
This activity started way back in 2009,Patients were mobilized from different wards to oncology ward-J4.Both adults and Childres.The number of patients treated has
exponentially increased as shown on the graph below.
- Different partners have come in to help in this area,eg in the area of Histo/Cytopathology-Italians
have assisted both material-equipments and reagents, and Human resources through Rotating Pathologists.
- In the area of treatment also Italians have donated Drugs and send Rotating Oncologists and Nurses to help the existing local team.
- We Received Gamma Camera from IAEA which is helping in staging of our patients ,especially bone scans.
- We recently received an X-ray Machine for Bukumbi Hospital and a Teleradiology unity for Bugando.
- Italians are donating 1 Linac machine for treatment and its Simulating unity
- IAEA through the matching Funds program will donate 2-Cbalt 60 Machines,HDR-Brachytherapy,and Planning system.
- Not all patients that are seen can be cured and therefore-Paaliative care.
This is again divided in Facility and community.
Offered in the Hospital we created a palliative team which is currently not functioning well,but in a month at the oncology
Department we can see up to 10 cases.
We are using the existing Home based care for HIV to reach our clients ,with this community Palliative care a number of chronic
Diseases are inclused,HIV/AIDS,Diabetes Mellitus,Hypertenstions and theirComplications eg Stroke,Muscular Disoders etc.
The Oncology department at Bugando spearheaded to form a lake Zone Palliative initiative in collaboration with Tearfund Foundation,the Draft of
the document was submitted to the Ministry for approval.
Peculiarity for the treatment of cancer render special attention during the course of treatment,areas of challenges are Long duration of treatment,
detachement from family,transportation Burden,Drop out from school,Divorce etc.
Certain NGO eg Hope for Life came up with Ideas;
- Establishment of School
So that children will continue to study during the drug holiday period,this has already started at Bugando.
It has attracted even children from other wards.
- Family support in the Hospital
Since everything has to be paid for from investigations,treatment,accommodation,transportation and other personal needs like clothes,soap etc Hope
for life are thinking in Fund rising to help for that.
As mentioned before,the distance and frequency of attending Hospital for treatment has attracted the Idea of building a hostel to accommodate familieswhile
waiting for the next turn of drugs,this is stillin the pre-liminary phase of planning.
As It was mentioned during different activities ,we do collaborate with Other Organisations;
- Italy-Tison,IOV(Istituto Oncologico di Veneto),IOR(Istituto Oncologico Romagnolo),
IRST-(Istituto scientific per Cura e Ricerca die Tumori.)
- USA-NCI-(National Cancer Institute),Duke and Weill Cornell.
- Others ESMO,AORTIC,SIOP,AIOM and AAF
Several Research areas are being explored.
- Breast cancer
- Kaposis Sarcoma
- Vitamin D vs Cancer
firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com