EMERGENCY MEDICINE DEPARTMENT IN SYNOPSIS [EMD]
This is one of a medical specialty that attends people of all ages with mainly acute illnesses or injuries that require
immediate attention. Usually not providing long-term or continuing care, but variety of illness are diagnosed and acute interventions
are an undertaken to resuscitate and stabilize patients with chronic or acute on chronic illnesses.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE DEPARTMENT
The department started transitionally since August 2012 and established in Dec, 2012 [formally was a casualty unit]
There are about thirty seven (37) staffs:
- Emergency pharmacy
- Emergency cashier /payment window
- Emergency File Registration window
The department has Emergency facilities such as;
- Emergency doctors 
- Nurses 
- Medical attendants 
- Porters 
CHARACTERISTICS OF EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT.
- It is characterized by high stress, increasing number of patients and rapid decision –
making with little or incomplete information.
- Required competent, caring personnel at all hours because emergencies can’t wait- time is too valuable’s
- Arrival to admission /discharge time is about 90min .average
- Maintaining efficiency and speed
- Working hours
- The department works in 24 hours each day, Seven days a week regardless of holidays.
- Emergency staffs are present 24 hours in shifts
- Improved patient care and satisfaction
- serving with love and sympathy
- Pharmacy, registration and payments services are available.
- Improved hospital income from emergency services
- It is corruption free department
- Improved emergency care through training with internal and external visiting doctors.
- Lessened stress on EMD staff
- Availability of resources, coordination, team work, responsibility
- Discipline at work
- If discipline is maintained, we have fewer issues to struggle with.
- We have unwavering punctuality, respect, and diligence.
- Every one is a leader
- Establishment of rotating weekly in charges for doctors and nurses.
- To supervise operational & administrative issues in the dept.
- Imparted sense of ownership
- Motivational talks
- Close follow up issues
- Consumables are accounted for everyday using checklist
- Inter-departmental issue are followed up by weekly in charges or HOD and feedbacks are brought – in during reports.
- Weekly reports
- The in charges meet at the end of each week and discuss challenges faced and how they solve them.
- Written report is submitted to the HOD
- The unresolved issues are tabled for further follow up.
- Monthly statistic report
- Statistics coordinator complies and keeps the records every month, Top 5 referring hospitals are known
- Feedbacks are brought for discussion and improvement.
- Department meeting
- After every two months, discussing on challenges arisen, evaluation of given tasks and implementation of the same.
Number of patients attended per day
-Average of 85 patients are attended every day
[Highest number is 140 patients, lowest number is 40]
-Average of 25 patients per 1 doctor each day
Average Daily Statistics
-52% of the people we attend are admitted per day
-20% of the attended are under 5 patients year’s children
-25% of all attended patients are referrals
-0.3 of people attended die/day in the department
-90% of deaths in the department occur within 30min – 2hours since arrival.
-Most are referred when severely sick, or come severely traumatized or terminally ill.
-Most of cases are severe anemias, deadly road traffic accidents, and complications of respiratory or cardiovascular and infectious diseases.
EMD IN FUTURE.
- Attending time from average of 90 min to less than an hour
-3 additional Drs
-7 trained nurses
-4 med. Attendants
- Perform all emergency investigations in the department.
-Emergency lab [for emergency tests]
-portable USS machine
-portable x-ray machine
- Availability of adequate life support equipments
-In –built oxygen supply
-Airway instruments [ETT masks, etc], central lines
- Some Emergency Surgical procedures to be done in EMD
-Installation of infrastructure and anesthesia machines / instruments
-Recovery room with 3 beds
-Trained theatre staffs
MERITS OF THIS DEPARTMENT
- Serves as a face of the hospital
- Always attend many patients
- Earns the hospital a lot through strict supervision of hospital bills for outpatients and inpatients.
- Self –determined , motivated, hardworking, medically ethical and moral staffs
- Daily short presentations on different issues like 5 s/kaizen , IPC , etc
- Weekly case presentations, mortality reviews and discussions
- Trainings by visiting doctors from within or outside the country.
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org